If you want to upload many contacts at once, getting to know the File Upload option will help you import a batch, or multiple contacts, all at the same time. You can do this by using a Comma Separated Value (.CSV) spreadsheet. Anyone can do this with access to any spreadsheet program, such as Microsoft Excel.
The video will guide you through your first File Upload import. There are a few things you should know about using this option:
- You must use a .csv file to upload your data. A .csv, or comma separated value document is a file extension given to a spreadsheet program (like Excel for instance) instead of an .xls or .xlsx.
- You can save an existing file in your spreadsheet program with an .xls, .xlsx or .odt as a .csv when you go to save the document.
- You’ll need to have a list with a proper header row and consistent data in each column. This is to make sure your information will be pulled into Wire correctly.
Notes about Upload Options Before an Import
Before you choose to “Upload” your new connections, you’ll see the two below options. The first is “Optional Opt-In Override” and the second is “Add only if email address is not already in all contacts.” Both of these options are important to having a successful upload. Here’s more information on both of these:
- The first is the “Optional Opt-In Override”, which gives you the ability to send bulk email communication to that contact. You must have permission from the contact to use this option. If you do not check this box, the contact(s) you are uploading will not receive email communication until you later manually subscribe them. The CAN-SPAM Act only limits mass email communication. You can still send a connection a Single Email even if you do not have permission to include a contact in a bulk email send.
- The second box is “Add only if email address is not already in all contacts”. This is especially important for the File Upload option and it omits any duplicate email addresses from being imported into your contacts.
See the video above on how to get started with File Upload.
More information on CSVs
More documentation on the File Upload Option
Information on the CAN-SPAM ACT
Information on Other Ways To Upload Contacts